Monday, August 18, 2008

Our Summer

Well Yardley Family,
we just wanted to share with you what we've been doing this summer. Since I'm not in contact with a lot of you, I would love to hear about your summer too. Serge finished his 4th year of School at Cal Poly Pomona in June. We have one more to graduate from Architecture school. We are more than ecstatic for that day!
Then we took a quick trip out to Tennessee for Serge's sister's wedding. She was married on June 21st. Her husband is not in the Army(like Tammy), but climbs and repairs radio towers all over the U.S. with his family. They own a ranch. They entertained us well. We went horse back riding a couple of times, ate MRE's, some of our family went caving and my favorite was the "hick swing." They hooked a rope to a scoop tractor and then we harnessed up. It was like nothing I've ever seen.
We also visited The Hermitage, the home of President Andrew Jackson.

It was pretty cool. Then we visited the Country Music hall of Fame. I like the cars that they had on display. I would recomment it to those visiting. We then got sodas at the local Soda shop. I'd never had an old time soda and it was pretty good, although, I would recommend a fruit flavor to those of you trying it for the first time.


We also celebrated Landon's 1st birthday. It was an emotional one for me. He's overcome so much. He's such an example to me. He's survived almost every organ failure and three open heart surgeries, plus one other surgery to place his feeding tube. We're so glad to have him in our family and he's such a joy to be around--always happy.
In July, Serge's Grandpa Woodruff hosted us in St George for their family reunion. We stayed in condos and had lots of "structured" time. 6:15 morning walk, 6:45 devotional, 7:00 breakfast, 8:30 toddler time, 9:00 youth games, 10:30 carmel making demonstration, etc. It was really fun and a good getaway for me.
We stayed in a three bedroom condo with Serge's brother and his family. I felt like I was in a palace-- compared to our 400sq. foot home. The only down side was the heat.
Then, we missed testimony meeting in order to slip away to the Yardley family reunion. We had a good time there. It was way too short of a time to catch up with everyone that I haven't seen for years. The food was great and the company better. My favorite part was when Aunt Mildred kept saying, "Roy will be so mad." I'm not sure how much she remembers at 97, but she remembers that:)
One the way back we stopped by Charlotte and helped her get settled into her new home. It's a cute little place, that is just the right size for their family. He twins are sooo cute. They will turn one on Aug. 21st. Talk about spitting image of parents--that's Sydney to her dad and Sadie looks like a Yardley through and through. Char's an amazing mom!
We went to the Orange county fair. That was fun. It's always a treat watching Californians(I am one of them now, so I can say this) react to horticulture. They grow a real garden for display every year, since Californians don't know how to--or have any land to do so. One lady was talking to her five year old and said, "honey, look at these. It's like Jack and the Bean stalk." She was pointing to string beans. Honestly people. Seeing cows and pigs is just fascinating.
Hayden had his third birthday on the 12th.


(This is the boys at our camp spot playground)
I can't believe he's getting so big. Time really does fly. He's so smart and fun. He makes me laugh and cry all the time. Mostly laugh though. We had a small birthday party for him and then went camping this last weekend.
(Hayden at San Antonio Falls)
It was a good time--and he got some time on a pony. We have just a short time to go before school starts again and we're excited.
I am busy staying home and trying to keep on top of all the appointments and spending one on one time with the kids and my hubby. Sigh, I'm exhausted. We are excited to travel a little more, since Landon's health allows and he tollerates it more. All in all, we've enjoyed the summer.

No comments: